Brief History of Napoleon Bonaparte in the Regency Era
by Suzi Love
A brief history of Napoleon Bonaparte, one of the greatest military leaders in history.
While he was emperor of France, Napoleon conquered much of Europe and often battled the British.
Napoleon therefore often features in our Regency Era historical romances and many of our romance heroes are either spies against Napoleon and his armies, or have returned to England after one of the many battles.
- 1769 Born Corsica to gentry family, educated military school
- 1790s Rapid promotions
- 1796 Became commander of the French army in Italy
- 1798 Conquered Ottoman-ruled Egypt to strike at British trade with India.
- 1798 Returned to Paris where government was in crisis
- 1799 Became first consul
- 1800 Attempted assassination by infernal machine
- 1802 Vice-President of Italian Republic
- 1802 First Consul for life
- 1803 Civil Code, later Code Napoléon, decreed and war with England
- 1804 Crowned Empereur des Francais
- 1805 Crosses the Rhine and the Battle of Trafalgar
- 1808 Conferences Napoleon, Alexander, and German Sovereigns
- 1808 Peninsula War
- 1809 Battle of Corunna
- 1809 Relatives and loyalists installed Holland, Westphalia, Italy, Naples, Spain, and Sweden
- 1810 Childless marriage to Josephine de Beauharnais annulled
- 1810 Married Marie Louise, daughter of Austrian Empire, at age 40
- 1811 Son of Napoleon born
- 1812 Enters Moscow in September, commences retreat in October.
- 1812 Arrives in Paris in December
- 1813 Defeats Russians and Prussians at Lutzen and Bautzen
- 1813 Defeats allies at Dresden but is beaten at Leipsic
- 1814 Battles of Montmirail, Vauchamps and Montereau.
- 1814 First Treaty of Paris
- 1814 Senate declare dethronement of Napoleon and he abdicates
- 1814 Lands at Elba.
- 1815 Escapes Elba, lands near Cannes, and enters Paris.
- 1815 Battles of Ligny, Quatre Bras and Waterloo
- 1815 Surrenders to English and imprisoned St. Helena
- 1821 Died at St Helena
- 1840 Body of Napoleon disentombed and placed in Invalides
So what do you think about Napoleon and his grandiose dreams?
Do you see him as a madman dictator,
or as a patriot who stepped up during a chaotic situation but became obsessed
with seeing his country survive,
expand, and conquer?
Want to see what Suzi Love gets up to each day?
- Take a look at my Rebel Mouse Magazine or my Suzi Love Daily Paper.
- Suzi Love Magazine - https://www.rebelmouse.com/suzilove
- Suzi Love's Daily Gossip Newspaper - http://paper.li/f-1350000229